O'FLYNN, George Robert
- Born: Sep 1885, Grimsby, Lincolnshire
- Died: 28 Apr 1917, Pas de Calais, France aged 31
Another name for George was FLINN.
Service No: 26945
Date of Death: 28/04/1917
Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment 8th Bn.
Grave Reference Sp. Mem. C. 20.
Cemetery CHILI TRENCH CEMETERY, GAVRELLE
Additional Information: Son of Robert James and Rebecca Flinn, of 197, Weelsby St., Grimsby.
Gavrelle was captured by the Royal Naval Division on 23 April 1917, lost on 28 March 1918, and reoccupied by the 51st (Highland) Division on the following 27 August.
Chili Trench Cemetery was made in April and May 1917, mainly by units of the 37th Division; it was also known also as Gavrelle Road Cemetery, or Fampoux Cemetery. A further four Commonwealth graves from MONCHECOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY were removed to Chili Trench Cemetery in 1934.
The cemetery contains 196 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 19 of the burials are unidentified and 86 graves destroyed by shell fire are now represented by special memorials. The cemetery also contains the grave of one airman of the Second World War.
Noted events in his life were:
• Census, 1891, 115 Garibaldi Street, Grimsby, Lincolnshire.
• Census, 1901, 119 Garibaldi Street, Grimsby, Lincolnshire.
• Occupation: Fish @ Home, 1901.
• Census, 1911, 119 Garibaldi Street, Grimsby, Lincolnshire.
• Occupation: Fish-Curer Smoked, 1911.